Thursday, May 1, 2008

Get a Room (Please!)

I can remember watching Happy Days and listening to Richie Cunningham sing about finding his thrill on Blueberry Hill. Of course we all know that the reference is to high school students driving to a discreet location and making out. Fast forward to today's sex charged (crazed, more like it) adolescents.

One of my menial tasks when I was an assistant principal was to walk the parking lot during basketball games. The purpose of this insane Barney Fife like behavior is to try and catch youngsters smoking or drinking. I am ashamed to say that you almost hope to catch someone, so that this meaningless walk actually serves a purpose. Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 you basically burn 10 calories and return to the game.

Ah, but there is always that one time.

One night as I was counting the number of ford trucks in the parking lot, I happened upon a black pontiac. I was walking behind the car, and I gave it the once over. I did a double take, and then I noticed something strange. A FOOT! That's right, a foot and not on the floor, but up in the air. Well, my initial urge was to yell CITIZEN's ARREST but I composed my self quickly and approached the driver's side window.

I knocked on the window and opened the door. The young lady in the passenger seat thankfully lowered her foot. Johnny-on-the-spot had his undies around his ankles and was fumbling to pull them up. I turned around and told them to kindly get dressed and step out of the vehicle. It took about a minute or two, but the love birds eventually emerged from the vehicle. I told the cheerleader (yes, it was one of our cheerleaders) she probably needed to call her mom. She just couldn't understand why I wasn't going to let her cheer?

Two phone calls, two mothers, and two doughnuts out of the parking lot left me all alone again.

As I entered the gym, I just couldn't resist singing a bar or two of "I found my thrill, on Blueberry Hill."

A teacher heard me and laughed, she said "Happy Days, right?"

I said, "Yep, and I wish this town had a Blueberry Hill instead of a parking lot!"

She looked all puzzled and asked, "What do you mean?"

I said, "Nothing! just thinking out loud. Hey, what's the score."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by and the compliment. It's a lot tougher than I thought it would be, but I only have 3 semesters left. I think I can, I think I can.....

Hope you don't mind, but I'm linking to you from my site. Easier to maneuver.